Friday, August 16, 2002

I WON'T GET ANY OLDER NOW THE ANGELS HAVE STOLEN MY RED SHOES
My zine assembly got bogged down when I decided to watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory because it's just so good! The color has that mid '70s quality that I find so soothing, probably because I grew up with it. Lickable wallpaper. Sometimes I try to figure out where my aesthetic sense comes from, more or less unsuccessfully. It doesn't seem like I picked it up from any part of my natural environment, but when I saw the lickable wallpaper and the chocolate room and the everlasting gobstopper again, it all fell in.

I'm almost done with The World According to Garp, my official 600 page book of the summer. Currently it's very sad, but that's John Irving for you. The closer I get to the end, the happier I am that I got one of my coworkers to read it. He liked it more than he could say, and that was extremely flattering for obvious reasons. And now he's probably going to read at least a few of Irving's other books. Thank goodness. It'll take a while for him to notice the patterns I tried to hip him to: the bears, wrestling coaches, private New Hampshire Schools, and missing appendages that are par for the course.