KUDOS, I'M YOURS!
I've been having the best time watching old tapes of Saturday morning cartoons from the '80s while I assemble my zine. For those of you who were unaware, it's taking a really long time. I think I've only sewn together 15 of them so far, but I'm getting better. I gave my parents the first copy because my Dad extended far beyond his typical parental duties yesterday when he helped me get copies at Staples. The next one after that is mine. The two after that I mailed to Ram and Dave today. And that's it. 96 to go. I've been listening to My Aim is True, Trompe le Monde, Twilight to Starlight, and Surfer Rosa at least once every day. To borrow a phrase, this girl is poppy as fuck.
I practiced trombone in the morning today, and suddenly my tone was great. What a weird thing. I'm trying to decide between Donna Lee, Things to Come, Back Home Blues, and Oleo for my audition. Donna Lee is by far the most technical and impressive of the four, but I don't really like the song itself so well, and that's a problem with soloing in my opinion. Things to Come sounds okay, but the progression is kind of uncomfortable for me because I don't usually play over a big old slew of diminished chords. Back Home Blues sounds great from every perspective, and it's mostly just a C blues so it wouldn't be too hard to prepare for a solo over it, but I'm afraid it might not be technically demanding enough. Maybe if I just play it really fast. Oleo is a great song, and it's over the progression from "I Got Rhythm", so at least I'm familiar with it aurally, but you really have to shed to sound alright on that song. It's all easy chords, too, but something about the solo, especially the bridge, just falls flat every time I play it. If only I could hold a vote on blogger.
I got a great big package from Ian in the mail today. It had a Pennsylvania license plate folded in half with some magnets stuck to it, a big letter, a mixtape wrapped in caution tape, and a separate "meet the songs" letter that is as of yet unopened. Clap clap clap is all I have to say.
I've been having the best time watching old tapes of Saturday morning cartoons from the '80s while I assemble my zine. For those of you who were unaware, it's taking a really long time. I think I've only sewn together 15 of them so far, but I'm getting better. I gave my parents the first copy because my Dad extended far beyond his typical parental duties yesterday when he helped me get copies at Staples. The next one after that is mine. The two after that I mailed to Ram and Dave today. And that's it. 96 to go. I've been listening to My Aim is True, Trompe le Monde, Twilight to Starlight, and Surfer Rosa at least once every day. To borrow a phrase, this girl is poppy as fuck.
I practiced trombone in the morning today, and suddenly my tone was great. What a weird thing. I'm trying to decide between Donna Lee, Things to Come, Back Home Blues, and Oleo for my audition. Donna Lee is by far the most technical and impressive of the four, but I don't really like the song itself so well, and that's a problem with soloing in my opinion. Things to Come sounds okay, but the progression is kind of uncomfortable for me because I don't usually play over a big old slew of diminished chords. Back Home Blues sounds great from every perspective, and it's mostly just a C blues so it wouldn't be too hard to prepare for a solo over it, but I'm afraid it might not be technically demanding enough. Maybe if I just play it really fast. Oleo is a great song, and it's over the progression from "I Got Rhythm", so at least I'm familiar with it aurally, but you really have to shed to sound alright on that song. It's all easy chords, too, but something about the solo, especially the bridge, just falls flat every time I play it. If only I could hold a vote on blogger.
I got a great big package from Ian in the mail today. It had a Pennsylvania license plate folded in half with some magnets stuck to it, a big letter, a mixtape wrapped in caution tape, and a separate "meet the songs" letter that is as of yet unopened. Clap clap clap is all I have to say.

<< Home