Monday, January 16, 2006

SELECTIVITY OR SOMETHING SIMILAR

If my roommate and I hadn't come down with food poisoning, it's possible that I would have never lifted my moratorium on Julia Robets movies. I know that some of you are probably very skeptical (and rightly so) about my softening sentiments. So let me be clear: I am in no way turning my back on the hard work of remaining nonplussed by "American Sweetheart" types OR their heartwarming movies. But then again, I had never seen "Pretty Woman."

"Pretty Woman" is worth the price of admission because of that one scene where she goes to the upscale boutique and they turn her away even though she has a huge wad of cash. Also, her working class naivete leads her to always sit on things (and I'm not saying that just because she's a hooker). Also. how about a meditation on intimacy and ownership in relationships? Yeah, I can get down with that. But the moment when she's playing around with her opera glasses made me dizzy, but that's probably because I was kind of dizzy already. Anyway!

Also, I would like to let ITT Tech know that I'm not buying that commercial where a guy says, "I've always wanted to be a poet, so I started an English degree. But I didn't get anywhere. Now I'm a computer technician," isn't going to fool me. Why is it so easy to pick on poets as the helpless dunderheads of the career world? Is it because we don't necessarily want careers, or because careers don't want us? Oh, have I just answered my own question? Regardless, it's not as bad as that Marines commercial that was basically saying, "What are YOU going to do with your life? Become a POET?"