Monday, December 19, 2005

FURTHER ADVENTURES WITH YOU

I know that these things are silly. I don't care. (See numbers 18 & 19 for explication.)

1. What did you do in 2005 that you'd never done before?
+ Brief lounge-singing stint in Lawrenceville.
+ Became a commuter (one hour each way, son).
+ Graduated from college & gave a speech.
+ Re-dated my first ever boyfriend (with disastrous results).
+ Joined the on-line personals.

2. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Kind of. Always, one of my resolutions has been to cook for myself more often, and I really kicked that into gear after my job started.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
I don't think so. I should definitely know, shouldn't I? One of my childhood friends gave birth, but I haven't seen her since we graduated from high school.

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No. Thank goodness.

5. What places did you visit?
New York, Philly, Chicago, Columbus.

6. What would you like to have in 2006 that you lacked in 2005?
+Admission to an M.F.A. program.
+No more car.
+A boyfriend. Okay, I said it. I want a fucking boyfriend.
+Completely blonde hair.

7. What date from 2005 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
+The day in March when I was still at home recovering from getting my wisdom teeth out & I called my roommate & she opened up my acceptance letter from Bucknell & read it to me over the phone. And I cried and slobbered all over myself.
+June first, when I arrived at the Harrisburgh Amtrak station and was met by a white stretch limo to take us to the poetry seminar.
+The perfect summer day when Lillian and I danced on the corner & got ice cream sandwiches & got caught in the rain.
+May 15th (duh) because Adam's cap fell off when our degree was conferred and the president of the unviersity told him to sit down in front of all of those people.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
+Being nominated for a Pushcart Prize.
+Attending the Bucknell Seminar for Younger Poets.
+Getting a job that allows me to teach poetry to children.
+Getting over my fear of driving.
+Winning the Adamson for fiction & an Academy of American Poets Prize.
+Cooking good food for myself.

9. What was your biggest failure?
In July I went to Philly to see this guy, thinking it would be something that it completely was not, and having the most awkward weekend of crapola ever, and crying on the train the whole way back.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I had a hell of a time with the wisdom teeth (and my jaw still aches), but that was the worst of it. I used to get colds all the time in Wightman house, but I haven't been sick all summer or fall, which is A-MAZING.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
Probably the CD player for my car, because I would go crazy without it. And also all of the cigarettes. Each and every last one.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
+My friend Chris from NOLA because he's dealt with so much & been so resillient.
+My parents, for all the obvious reasons. They work so hard to take care of me.
+My godmother, who just graduated from nursing school.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Oh, the government. But that's such an easy answer, isn't it? I could name names, but I don't like blog drama, and I need none of it. Although, since that Philly guy doesn't read this, I can call him out.

14. Where did most of your money go?
Cigarettes, bar tabs, make up, gas, books, food, and movies.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
+Graduating.
+The Bucknell Seminar for Younger Poets.

16. What song will always remind you of 2005?
+ "Is That All There Is?" Cristina
+ "Fistfull of Love" Antony & the Johnsons
+ "Melanin" Dipset
+ "Punks in the Beerlight" Silver Jews
+ "Soul Kitchen" X
+ "Here Comes the Summer" Fiery Furnaces
+ "I Summon You" Spoon
+ "I'm a Wonderful Thing, Baby" Kid Creole and the Coconuts

17. Compared to this time last year, are you
i. happier or sadder? Happier.
ii. thinner or fatter? Thinner.
iii. richer or poorer? Richer.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Not giving a shit.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Giving a shit.

20. How did you spend Christmas?
Smoking Lucky Strikes in the greenhouse at my parents' house, decorating the tree and listening to Pavement.

21. How will you be spending New Year's?
I have no idea. Hopefully, not listening to any radio station's countdown of the top 100 hits because that's always disappointing.

22. Did you fall in love in 2005?
No.

23. How many one-night stands?
Not my style.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
The O.C. and America's Next Top Model. I will hear no complaints.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
I don't do the hate thing.

26. What was the best book you read?
"Actual Air" by David Berman, The Selected Levis by Larry Levis, "Six Memos for the Next Milennium" by Italo Calvino.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Everything released by ZE records (Cristina, James Chance, Kid Creole) and everything on their Mutant Disco comps. Even though everybody else who's heard them thinks they're total shit. I don't know what's happening to me. Dance music?

28. What did you want and get?
+I got into the Bucknell Younger Poets Seminar. It was incredible. Probably the highlight of the year (like you couldn't tell!).
+I did a lot of good writing (if I don't mind saying so).
+A poetry job. Holy smokes.

29. What did you want and not get?
A relationship. With a boy. A boyfriend. Come on.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
+ "F is for Fake"
+ "La Dolce Vita"
+ "Batman Begins"
+ "Me and You and Everyone We Know"

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I asked my students to guess how old I was, and they were all like, "47! 33! 19?" and I was like, "No, I'm 22. And because it's my birthday, you have to be nice to me." And then I went home and had pad thai & tiramisu and watched the O.C. with Lauren and Lillian.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
This is getting ridiculous. A FUCKING BOYFRIEND, OKAY?

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2005?
January: Unhinged Ballerina.
February: Unhinged Ballerina.
March: Jammies & Drooling.
April: Fancy Lady
May: Full Blown Fancy Lady
June: I Have a Mini Skirt
July: ?
August: ?
September: Poetry Teacher
October: Poetry Teacher With a Big Scarf/Unhinged Ballerina (weekends only)
November: Poetry Teacher
December: Poetry Teacher with Snow Boots

34. What kept you sane?
Cigarettes, good conversations, hearing from far-away friends, Steelers victories, and food that I make for myself.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Troy Palumalu, David Berman.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
The erosion of a woman's right to choose. (I'm just wholesale ripping of Zach's answer because it's so well put.)
Also, that whole "We don't torture, but we don't want to make it illegal" nonsense.

37. Who did you miss?
+All the friends I made at Bucknell.
+Rachel, who's busy with law school.
+Adam, who's busy being the life of the party in Austin, TX.
+All the other folks who graduated and moved away.
+All of the people who are still in school but don't have time to do anything except homework.
+And, of course, people who are still in Pittsburgh but have inevitably grown apart from me. That one's probably the worst.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Kristin, Chris, and Alex from the Bucknell Seminar. And really, Lillian (GIRL) because I didn't know you very well until this year.

38.b. Side question...who would you like to get to know better?
Tom Waits.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2005:
+People change, it's awful, and there's nothing you can do about it.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"I think I'll quit while I'm behind
Now that I'm 22.
My sheets are stained
So is my brain--
What's a girl to do?" (Cristina)