Wednesday, December 11, 2002

INTO THE MILKY NIGHT
I've discovered the joys of bass playing yet again. This isn't too surprising, because I have so much else to work on that playing bass is literally the last thing in the world that I have time for, right behind painting my toenails and making another zine. And sleeping. But nevertheless I got it out last night and tried some new Pixies tabs, some Pavement tabs, and tried to figure out some Miroslav songs. This is really pretty exciting, because I usually don't figure out tabs for myself just by trying to play with the record. I've figured out "Rock This Town" and most of "Summer Time," and now I'm working on "Read Between the Lines" and "70 Hounds." It makes me feel so darn capable.

Aside from that, all I can say about the next two days is that it'll be over soon and I'll be so relieved. I don't think the Interpretive Practices final will be a big deal, and I hope my jury won't be too big a deal, but I felt really unprepared at the rehearsal last night. Everybody else seemed to have their tunes more or less memorized, and I know I should, too. I guess I have the feeling that Dave and all the other jazz profs give me good grades even though I'm not developing as quickly as the other students, because they feel that I'm working so hard in everything else that it's okay that I'm kind of not good at some things. Maybe this is just because it's finals week, but I feel like I have my feet in too many different worlds. Which is a problem as I only have two feet.