Wednesday, November 20, 2002

THERE ARE ONLY SURFACES
I just got back from the Carnegie Library with Megan. I love so much about that library: the vending machine full of research supplies, the graphic novels, the music section, and all of the people. Seriously, that library is chock full of cute college kid employees, all of whom I certainly hope work at the library to satisfy some romantic yearning to meet the loves of their lives in the stacks, preferably by reaching for the same Foucault book simultaneously. I took out communion, bell hooks; jimmy corrigan, F.C. Ware; and Mirror, Window, Jessica Abel. Seriously, though, graphic novels are the last things I need right now, seeing as I have to write a passable draft of a paper for a meeting tomorrow. Ah, but they're so pretty. Oh, but it's so unfair.

After a while, all of the possible topics in my paper end up feeling like a big mash of the same things re-articulated in different ways. It makes my reality more slippery, but more glowing, to be sure. This paper will be about how form articulates theoretical content, and I'm most likely going to write about Scanner Darkly. Like I said, it's terribly exciting, but also confusing and overwhelming, but happily so. I'm having a great time dressing up and playing academic like this. Prof. Witmore was so impressed by the enthusiasm Adam, Megan, and I have for deconstructionism that he suggested we hold a deconstructionist seminar next year in which we read Derrida and Foucault and discuss over dinner once a week.

!

Okay. I think that's quite enough of that, Sarah.