Thursday, July 01, 2004

RUNNING THROUGH THE TRENCHES IT'S THE PATTY DOOKE

Whoa. I'm at the Pennsylvania Governor's School of the Arts, sinking into my position as Assistant to Teacher/Resident Assistant (ATTRA). I'm on cup-of-coffee number four, and today has already mean about three hours of workshopping for me. Yow. I could give you a humorous list of the things I've learned during training and the first three days of the program, but I'm having a hard time walking and sipping coffee at the same time (evinced by the fact that I've spilled coffee on the floor four times this morning).

In general, things are going well. This job is HARD AS FUCK. Seriously. We're responsible for the lives and well-being of 200 minors, and we're responsible for their artistic development. Holy fucking shit. I wish I could explain it a little better, but I'm seriously frazzled at the moment and I haven't had a smoke yet today. Give me a gold fucking trophy.

The writing department is so solid. Lauren and I are an awesome ATTRA team; we're having a lot of fun working together and helping each other, something that our fiction and poetry ATTRAs couldn't do when we were here four years ago. The teachers, Dave and Ethel, are amazing and great to work with. And man, the fiction kids are great! They're really pretty laidback and humble, but also funny and talented. Yes, yes, yes.

Don't expect to hear a whole lot from me during this next month; it takes so much energy just to keep everything moving along that the idea of dashing off an e-mail is seriously exhausting (and perhaps impossible). But know that I'm going to have all kinds of stuff to tell you when I get back. Also know that I may stay in den mother mode for, oh, the rest of my life unless you rebilitate me with some seriously ridiculous parties or cartons of cigarettes. Oh my. Oh my. Oh my.

XO
Sarah