Thursday, May 20, 2004

WITH A GUN AND A PACK OF SANDWICHES

So, okay, the library isn't that bad. It is kind of physical work sometimes (especially exhausting today because I got up early to clean my bedroom and the third floor), but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I feel like I've got a pretty good handle on what I should be doing/when, and for some reason all of the information about where things go/what to do is staying in my head a little easier. I guess it does take a little while for those kinds of workplace instincts to really fix themselves in your mind.

It's a little disgusting how much I can latch on to any job and hammer away at it until it's perfect. Employers of the world: I am the perfect new hire because I'll probably freak out if I do something wrong, and I will always be nice to you because I'm afraid. Don't be surprised when I come to work 15 minutes early in a starched dress and kitten heels and ask you how you like your coffee and spend a few minutes making sure all the papers on the desk are at right angles. Jesus. I'm ridiculous.

I am completely serious when I say that I dream of being the kind of employee who doesn't give a damn about anything, sneaks out to visit people on the clock, takes advantage of the office supplies, and shirks all of their work without ever being noticed. Unfortunately, I know this will never really be me. My parents say that I have a really strong sense of self-discipline, and while this can be an extremely worthwhile skill to have for freer, less tangible efforts (like writing, or playing music), they are XdeathXcoreX if you have any kind of mindless job. Trust me. You'll only get tweaked out.

Maybe you're asking yourselves right now if it's really a good idea for me to become a librarian. Well, that's the seminal question, isn't it? I'm so glad you've asked.

Now go away. I have to check the second floor for scary old guys and sleepers. Wish me luck.

I