Sunday, May 16, 2004

YOU'VE GOT A DOLLAR SIGN RIGHT THERE WHERE MOST WOMEN HAVE A HEART. PLAY IT SMART.

We watched "The Killing" tonight; the above is a quote from one of those hard-boiled, just-out-of-jail, has-a-heist-that'll-make-it-all-okay-from-now-on-baby types. I really enjoyed it. It's been a long time since I've seen an honest to goodness noir where everybody's greed and hatred undoes them in the end. And there's still room for silly physical comedy! What a good deal.

I know my comments here have been brief recently, but I think that's because I'm trying to save these epiphanic morsels for my zine, the Patron Saint of Small Things (issue four currently in the works). I think blogging keeps me from writing for the zine because it gives me the immediate satisfaction of having my impressions recorded, if not for the sake of brevity. Nevertheless, the zine is starting to shape up really well: pieces on my desire to work at a library, the rhetoric of political marches, burrying a goldfish in the middle of winter, sleeping in cars, crushes, danger, young love, and all the other classic zine fodder. (Hint: this is where I start hyping the new issue so all of you interesting, anonymous readers can get your copy. Hi there.)

It feels really great to be working on a zine again. For a long time I had trouble figuring out what I even wanted to write about, I think because it's been hard for me to see the small things and minute details that I used to write about all the time. Also, I think my intentions in making the zine have changed significantly, especially because my initial goals were to make something apolitical. I have no idea why I construed art as apolitical before, but that (as well as so many other constructs) have changed meaning significantly in the last year. But this is a great way of gathering my scattered thoughts and impressions, which have been rather mercurial in the last year.

Projects are good.