Monday, November 24, 2003

THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS THE RAINDROPS
Yesterday was lovely. I finally got my iPod to work, and spent most of my time hanging out at the 61c, reading, and listening to the Velvet Underground and Pavement. Portable music is one the best aids for feeling as if one is trapped in one's own movie. Obviously, this is a great activity for poets, who should probably spend more time devising ridiculous self-imaging activities to take up their time. Seeing movies by yourself, imagining your funeral, watching people in their kitchens at twilight, driving a car in the dark, pretending that one doesn't feel the cold, keeping a typewriter by the bed. All of which I do regularly.

I can't wait to get to the airport tomorrow. While flying itself is kind of stressful for me, and airports are most certainly stressful, the fact that you can't really do anything except focus of getting from one place to another makes them an interestingly singular place. I allow myself to read silly magazines at the airport, get ice cream cones, and walk a little on the fast side for the sake of maintaining my Jetsetting Girl Professional image. Take me to the beach. Don't pay any attention to the copy of SPIN or worse, Elle Girl that's under my arm. And don't ask me any questions when I return with a suitcase full of grapefruit and Tofurkey.