Sunday, December 29, 2002

WAVE A WHITE FLAG; PUT AWAY THE PISTOL
I saw "The Two Towers" today and all I can say is: BIGNESS!!! What a huge movie. I like three-part sagas that make the audience feel like a mass of sniveling shits, like a sea of specks in the speck movie theater. Yesterday I went to Morgantown with my mom and her group of Greene County Unitarian Universalist friends. It was pretty lovely. I really enjoy talking to so many wise women who know what they're doing and what they like. It makes me miss my friends from school all the more. Not that I dislike my friends from home, but I see fewer and fewer of them every time I come home, and less and less of the few I do see. Someday I am going to spend New Year's Eve out of Greene County, and won't that be a night? But New Year's Eve has always depressed me witless. I think it has something to do with those terrible countdowns they have on all the local radio stations of the 40 "best" songs of the year. Am I supposed to start another year while ironic butt rock reigns supreme? I'll probably end up crying in an Italian restaurant again.

But I have forgotten: all of the problems in my life have been solved by Megan's gift. Seriously. Now I'm going to go and listen to Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, again and again.