WHIRLWIND, HEAT, AND FLASH
There were an impossible number of cultural events that I wanted to attend in Pittsburgh last night. First of all, Bob Dylan (!), the premier of Daddy Cool, a really excellent, bizarre-looking Pittsburgh-made film, and Miroslav playing at the Frame. You may think it's silly that I put Miroslav up there with Bob Dylan more or less, but I'm a fan. What can I say?
So Bob Dylan is the man. Because of his delivery/interpretation of most of his songs, it's kind of hard to tell exactly what he's playing. He played "Blowing in the Wind" as a first encore and Beth couldn't tell what it was until afterwards. Also, his best songs were arguably his covers, especially if I include his cover of Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower," his last encore. He also played "Brown Sugar" and "Old Man." But none of this is the point. He's Bob Dylan. He wouldn't even have to sing in any language any of us know because his power doesn't always come from the words. I had chills the whole time. I guess it kind of goes that my favorite moments were when he played the two songs from the Wonder Boys soundtrack, the aforementioned Neil Young and his own, the one that won him the Grammy or Oscar or whatever.
There were an impossible number of cultural events that I wanted to attend in Pittsburgh last night. First of all, Bob Dylan (!), the premier of Daddy Cool, a really excellent, bizarre-looking Pittsburgh-made film, and Miroslav playing at the Frame. You may think it's silly that I put Miroslav up there with Bob Dylan more or less, but I'm a fan. What can I say?
So Bob Dylan is the man. Because of his delivery/interpretation of most of his songs, it's kind of hard to tell exactly what he's playing. He played "Blowing in the Wind" as a first encore and Beth couldn't tell what it was until afterwards. Also, his best songs were arguably his covers, especially if I include his cover of Jimi Hendrix's version of "All Along the Watchtower," his last encore. He also played "Brown Sugar" and "Old Man." But none of this is the point. He's Bob Dylan. He wouldn't even have to sing in any language any of us know because his power doesn't always come from the words. I had chills the whole time. I guess it kind of goes that my favorite moments were when he played the two songs from the Wonder Boys soundtrack, the aforementioned Neil Young and his own, the one that won him the Grammy or Oscar or whatever.
<< Home