HOLD YOU LIKE I HOLD THAT BAKELITE IN MY HAND
It was, apparently, a great jazz concert. I thought things were a little shaky in quite a few places, but we were really swinging hard on most of the songs. I've never felt so not in my own body while playing before. I mean, soloing is always the kind of thing that puts me in a totally different frame of mind anyway, but tonight I was definitely not in my own head. I think that I don't necessarily have the kind of technical grasp on jazz that a lot of other people have, but I do something when I play that really gets to people. It makes me feel a little like a hack, that I can grab somebody's emotions without being as good at the craft of jazz as some other very talented players. But, on the other hand, jazz isn't meant to be academic. Anyway.
The point is that I had a great time playing tonight. I felt totally in my element among all of the other musicians, and it was just nice to hear everybody else play. And I love dressing up for jazz events. Mwah.
It was, apparently, a great jazz concert. I thought things were a little shaky in quite a few places, but we were really swinging hard on most of the songs. I've never felt so not in my own body while playing before. I mean, soloing is always the kind of thing that puts me in a totally different frame of mind anyway, but tonight I was definitely not in my own head. I think that I don't necessarily have the kind of technical grasp on jazz that a lot of other people have, but I do something when I play that really gets to people. It makes me feel a little like a hack, that I can grab somebody's emotions without being as good at the craft of jazz as some other very talented players. But, on the other hand, jazz isn't meant to be academic. Anyway.
The point is that I had a great time playing tonight. I felt totally in my element among all of the other musicians, and it was just nice to hear everybody else play. And I love dressing up for jazz events. Mwah.

<< Home