Wednesday, November 06, 2002

WE DISCOVERED THAT WE WERE HIP
Just got back from seeing Bowling for Columbine with Adam, Kevin, and Emily. It was pretty much what a Michael Moore documentary would be, given my pre-existing expectations for it. I like Michael Moore because he reminds me of my dad: no-nonsense, quick-witted, good sense of humor/knack for getting into trouble, and compassionate. Obviously, both of them do things that upset me. In Michael Moore's case, that means constantly referring to THE MEDIA as if he isn't a part of it; in my dad's case . . . well, I don't have anything in mind right now. But still, I'm glad they're both around and doing their things. I think as many people as possible should see Bowling for Columbine, and even pay $7.50 for it, but nobody should walk out of the theater and just feel great that they saw the film. That would turn the whole thing into a big act of mobile upper middle class/academic fuckery. And I know you don't want a part of that. So, um, work on that.

Things that are funny: I think Adam and I are updating our blogs simultaneously (we're both in the Cyert cluster), I've been spelling "Gerry" (as in "Gerald Costanzo") wrong all this time because he preferrs it spelled "Jerry," Charlton Heston is a bigger asshole than you could have imagined. Things that are sad: Charlton Heston, the whole fear leading into consumption thing that we pass off as the American Way.