Sunday, November 03, 2002

LIES AND BETRAYALS/ FRUIT COVERED NAILS
I spoke briefly (over IM) to somebody from Governor's School all those years ago. I told him about my breakup and he asked me immediately if the sex was any good. And then he told me I needed to smoke some pot & that would make everything better. I mean, great. Thanks. He asked me what kinds of things I've been reading lately and when I told him about the literary theorists I've been getting into, he asked me if I knew how to say their names. What an asshole. I don't consider it acceptable to tell somebody that all their problems will be solved by some drugs. Things don't work that way for me. I guess if nothing else I'm glad that I can tell you that and know it's true about me, at this moment at least. I may be a little different now, but there are some things that aren't, in fact, different at all.

I really like Slanted and Enchanted a lot more than most Pavement fans, at least the ones I know. When I first heard it I thought "Oh, I got burned. This sounds so fucking emo." But I started to fall hard for some of those songs, especially "In the Mouth a Desert" and "Trigger Cut" and "Zurich is Stained." Gosh, I am an indie pop girl. I guess. It's pretty standard college-type music to listen to, or at least it seems that way to all of us who don't even tune above the low 90s on the radio. Like, my Matador Records compilation makes me totally mainstream, right? I kind of like that viewpoint. It's so wrapped-up in itself.