Monday, April 11, 2005

IF THAT'S ALL THERE IS, MY FRIENDS, THEN LET'S KEEP DANCING

I am trying very hard to keep the whiff of finality out of everything that I do, but that's not really easy. My last undergraduate writing workshop ever is coming up soon. I've already turned in the last paper I will write as an undergrad. Think about that. Think about the sheer materialtiy of the writing English majors produce in four years. (Or, think about the ways that they end up using phrases like "sheer materiality" even when they're trying to be jocular and casual. Jocular. God. Help me.) This is my last CMU Carnival. Okay, I've been sarcastic and disinterested in Carnival before. But "college student" will cease to be a meaningful way of categorizing myself soon. If I'm eating ramen and boullion cubes (page back to the winter of 2004), it's no longer "collegiate." It's just kind of strange and sad. (Of course, many collegiate things are strange and sad, but you know, you're allowed.)

When other people do apartment searches, do they find places in under a week? Oh, no, that's me. Through all of my dealings with various real estate people, it occurred to me that I could totally rock that game. I'm a good talker, and I work the phone like it's a pension plan, and I have a convincing air. (Everybody I spoke to on the phone was surprised to discover later that I'm actually only 21. Yo, it's called having a good phone voice. And you are powerless.) But the point is, I got an apartment in the perfect place. More on it later, I actually have to get a glass of water because I'm drooling in excitement about this place.