Sunday, August 08, 2004

DAMP IN DUMBARTON DIP, ABOUT THE 15TH OF MAY

Such a big change in lifestyle, this not working thing. I've been to the 61c every day since I've been back, and spend most of my time chain smoking, reading and writing. (I'm very comforted by the fact that I was able to write three poems, thus ending my recent poetry drought.) I've also been working on a short story, which is too strange to get into here, but really promising. All of that teaching nonsense has really improved my capabilities for writing fiction, and it feels really good. I mean, really good.

Read the Village Voice and the New York Times from front to back today. How did I become such a bionically fast reader? I'll have to credit Dr. Batiste and her dizzying syllabi. I think this incredibly fast reading is what makes me go through magazines with such alarming speed these days. I really do read for relaxation, but a magazine doesn't last but half an hour or 45 minutes with me, and a 300-page novel sometimes less than a day. (This will explain the two-foot high pile of magazines I accumulated while I was in Erie.) Well, if I ever do go after that MA in Literary and Cultural Studies, at least I'll have a tiny, tiny edge.

I've come to the decision that I'm going to spend at least a year working in Pittsburgh and paying off my loans before deciding which direction to go towards. Basically, I'm divided between the potential for going toward an MFA in poetry, a Ph.D. in LCS, or the MLIS (Masters in Library and Information Science). They all have their merits, but I don't think I'm really ready to choose one yet. So, in the mean time, I'm going to spend the year looking for jobs in Pittsburgh. Are you looking for an editor/book designer/organized receptionist with style? How about a well-spoken gal with the perfect phone voice and an excellent knowledge of call forwarding? Maybe I do waste a little time on the Internet, but at least I look at Arts & Letters Daily and Salon! Somebody who can shelve a cart of library books in under an hour? (Forgive me my hourly smoke breaks.) Someone with teaching experience to work with children? A summer camp counselor? Researcher? Let me know, please, if you do. According to my last employer, I have a wonderful sense of humor. I'm totally serious.