Sunday, November 30, 2003

IT IS TIME FOR STORMY WEATHER
So, it's the end of another whirlwind semester, and in the spirit of previous years, here's a little summary of what I've learned:
1) There is, in fact, a generation gap between my parents and I. Most people manage to figure this out before they're twenty, but whatever.
2) That said, I love and respect my parents so much. They are endlessly cool people.
3) Bars are expensive.
4) Tandem-crushing on somebody is SO BAD AN IDEA. If you're doing this right now, stop immediately. And don't brainstorm a mixtape for said crush with your cohort lest she should take all your best ideas and monopolize them. Enough said.
5) The beach is great. I don't know why I didn't love it sooner.
6) Nobody likes self-righteous folks, even if they're you.
7) No matter how much you love James Baldwin, you still don't necessarily want to write a 20 page paper about him.
8) Poets dare not crush on other poets.
9) For some reason, wearing an underwire bra is an acceptable reason to be searched at an airport.
10) There's something odd about putting on make-up as a way of allaying sadness.
11) Retreating into the mind for solace makes good academics but damn boring friends.
12) Insecurity gets you nowhere.
13) I love Pittsburgh much more than I even knew.
14) Scotch is pretty good, if you can convince yourself that you like it.
15) There's always another facet of the problem.
16) Snow is a bitch unless you're listening to, say, Bull in the Heather while it's coming down.
17) Knitting and Tobey Maguire films are the only remedies for broken heart.
18) Grad students aren't necessarily smarter or better than undergrads.
19) There's always an excuse to buy more books.
20) Nothing will get done unless you're out of the house by ten in the morning.


Alright, then.