Sunday, July 14, 2002

MY OWN PERSONAL PRONOUN
We're just getting back from a trip to Ohio for a family reunion that was blissfully small and uncrowded. I had a great time looking out the window as I usually do. Also, John Irving possesses my soul once again. (This time it's The World According to Garp.) I cultivate the feeling that you get when suddenly a book that you weren't particularly wild about hooks you so entirely that you can't do anything but finish it in two days or so. John Irving and Michael Chabon both have wonderful talents for this.

I've realized that I haven't been rereading books as much as I used to; I wonder if there's anything to that. For a little while I read Fahrenheit 451 faithfully every summer, but I gave that up when I gave up Ray Bradbury as my favorite writer. Could it be that I busy myself with more books now than before? I haven't really made a dent in my classics list, but Garp is such a perfect character, and a writer, too. I've been thinking about character all the way home from Ohio. I feel a little renewed interest in writing fiction and I think I might be turning over the stones of another plot. I'm considering becoming a writer whose material is always set in a particular place (like New Hampshire for John Irving). If I decided to do so, I'm sure I would place all of my stories in Ohio, where the people are bland and the wallpaper intense. Every story takes place in my Grandmother Grieshop's kitchen, to some extent.