Wednesday, July 24, 2002

GET OUT OF THE CITY AND INTO THE SUNSHINE
Mom says that whenever you see ironweed bloom, it's time to wrap up your summer. Ironweed is a hazy purple globe of a flower, and it looks like August ought to look. Living here for the summer doesn't necessarily bring out the best in me, and I'm glad I'll be going back to school. Back home, actually. I had totally forgotten how quiet and noncommunitative I could be with people my own age. Some of my co-workers are okay, but after a certain extent I don't feel like I should have to participate in conversations that just don't seem worthwhile to me. My legendary misanthropy returns in fine form. But honestly, I've decided that if somebody wants to talk about abolishing the Catholic church (or abolishing any other kind of organized religion), my participation isn't necessary. I don't really need to respond if one of my coworkers wants to tell me that I would be happier if I did something that made me a lot of money so I could get a nice car and a nice house. Sometimes arguing doesn't accomplish anything. For that reason I'm sure I come off as somewhat standoffish, but I'm only here for two more days.

Does that remind anybody of high school? Anybody?