Saturday, July 09, 2005

SCHOOL'S . . . . OUT . . . FOR . . . . SUMMER! . . . . SCHOOL'S . . . . .OUT . . . FOR . . . EVER!!!!!!

I know, I know. A long silence puzzles, etc. etc. Maybe you've been thinking to yourself, "Sarah is most likely overwhelmed by her recent graduation and vaulting plunge into adulthood. I bet she's been sitting at her writing desk and looking at the used car lot at night. And for whatever reason, I have the feeling she recently purchased a jump rope." How well you know me! It's all true.

Well, I'll tell you why I bought the jump rope. I've been doing this fitness thing. When you graduate from college, it's like they give you this little wallet card that says, "THIS IS YOUR LIFE NOW" and everything you do starts taking on some larger importance. It's time to put the dishes immediately in the dishwahser now, no time to fuck around. It's time to buy breakfast cereal with a lot of fiber in it, and make your bed. Thus the jump rope.

During the day, I feel like I'm supposed to be doing something else, something that nobody told me about. It's a lot better at night, because even if you're an adult all of a sudden, it's acceptable to not know what to do with yourself at night. From what I've gathered, not many adults know what to do with themselves at night, so I feel more or less at home. Have you ever heard the phrase, "The night time wrote a check the day couldn't cash"? I think about that one all the time. Last night I rented this Russian film, a historical saga about the invention of perspective in icon painting, and worked on a scarf I started last summer. And that felt good, but today I looked at the knitting needles sitting in the sunlight on the coffee table and thought, "Wait, who does this? Do I do this?" Of course, I've watched dense European films while knitting before. (Ha. Haven't we all?) But then I take that little card out of my wallet, the one that says THIS IS YOUR LIFE NOW, and it feels very different to me.

Reading: the selected poems of Paul Celan, the selected Levis, the selected David St. John, the biography of Sarah Bernhardt, a book of Richard Ford's short stories, several pedagogy books, and Jane Brody's Good Food Book.

Listening to: Pinkback: "Summer in Abbadon," X: "Wild Gift," Antony & the Johnsons: "I Am a Bird Now," The Fall: "The Complete Peel Sessions," Iggy Pop & the Stooges: "Raw Power."

Eating: grilled tilapia and lettuce from my mother's garden.