TWENTY-FOUR GOLDEN HOURS
Last night:
Danny, the ownder of Zooty's (and a former boss of mine) called me around 8:30. "We thought maybe you could come down and sing tonight," he said. We had been talking about geting me a singing gig there for about a month, but I was almost going to chicken out. But I did it. And I'm going to do it again. And the word on the street is, "A star is born." More on that later, I'm sure.
Today:
Going back to my old place to get some of my stuff that was still at the house, my old landlady started yelling at me. I was taking a box of stuff out to my dad's pickup truck, and she came out of nowhere and started telling me about what a terrible person I was. She's done this to me before, but I've always sucked it up, stiff upper lip, whatev. But this time, I yelled back. I don't remember exactly what I said but it was along these lines: "I'VE HAD IT! I'M THROUGH! I'M THROUGH! I'M GOING BACK IN THERE TO GET THE REST OF MY STUFF, AND GOD HELP ME IF ANYBODY GETS IN MY WAY!" And then Mr. Melnick apologized on behalf of his wife. But he apologized to my father, and not to me. And how fitting that the end of Wightman comes in shouting and tears. How appropriate that I stormed out with a portrait of Sarah Vaugn under one arm and a biography of my namesake, Sarah Bernhardt, under the other. How very fucking appropriate. I spit on the stairs, and now I'm gone.
Last night:
Danny, the ownder of Zooty's (and a former boss of mine) called me around 8:30. "We thought maybe you could come down and sing tonight," he said. We had been talking about geting me a singing gig there for about a month, but I was almost going to chicken out. But I did it. And I'm going to do it again. And the word on the street is, "A star is born." More on that later, I'm sure.
Today:
Going back to my old place to get some of my stuff that was still at the house, my old landlady started yelling at me. I was taking a box of stuff out to my dad's pickup truck, and she came out of nowhere and started telling me about what a terrible person I was. She's done this to me before, but I've always sucked it up, stiff upper lip, whatev. But this time, I yelled back. I don't remember exactly what I said but it was along these lines: "I'VE HAD IT! I'M THROUGH! I'M THROUGH! I'M GOING BACK IN THERE TO GET THE REST OF MY STUFF, AND GOD HELP ME IF ANYBODY GETS IN MY WAY!" And then Mr. Melnick apologized on behalf of his wife. But he apologized to my father, and not to me. And how fitting that the end of Wightman comes in shouting and tears. How appropriate that I stormed out with a portrait of Sarah Vaugn under one arm and a biography of my namesake, Sarah Bernhardt, under the other. How very fucking appropriate. I spit on the stairs, and now I'm gone.
<< Home