Saturday, June 29, 2002

MY BOSS SAYS I SHOULD COMB MY HAIR
Despite what I thought on Monday, the week actually has passed pretty quickly. The second day was better, the third easier still, and by the fourth and fifth I had managed to wrangle some projects for myself. I mean, above and beyond stuffing envelopes, answering phones, and scanning the paper for Representative DeWeese's name. So far my special project has involved writing a speech for the Senior Games and writing a congratulatory letter to the participants, looking up their names/addresses, and mailing them out. That's right, I wrote something that had Bill DeWeese's name signed to it. This means I got to use bad ass words like "felicitation" instead of "congratulations" because Bill DeWeese is a fan of obfuscation.

With such fun to be had, a stocked office fridge (well, stocked as of yesterday, but still), and guilt-free internet surfing (as long as you manage to pick up the phone quickly), how could I dislike this job? My crippling insecurity didn't even last past noon on the second day.

As of yesterday, Ram has been gone for two weeks. All things considered, I think I'm handling it pretty well. My list of things to tell him is getting longer and longer, and I'm having some fun imagining him in all these different places, and I'm still praying for his safety, but I really, really, really miss him. Especially when I went to Pittsburgh last weekend to visit the gang, and of all places, we went to Guitar World. I was missing my honeypie to the max being around all those faces and things I can't help but associate with him.

I got one of the best zine-related letters today. It was from Kelli of That Girl, one of my favorite zines of all time. She sent me an older issue of That Girl along with some That Girl and 20 Bus (another zine of hers about public transportation) stickers that simply knock my socks off. Way off. For the first time in a few weeks I feel like really working on my zine, and thus it's so convenient that I have a weekend to myself.