Wednesday, December 08, 2004

WHAT SOLLIPSISM MEANS TO ME

Well, I know it's been a long time, but I'm sure that you understand. At the end of Fall term, I always feel as if these big assignments, which have by now become monolithic concerns of mine, keep on falling over. It's too easy. Even if time passes as slowly and excruciatingly as you know it can do, the day will end eventually. And shit will get done. And you can be free to smoke your cigarettes at the coffeshop all day long. Tonight is the last night of serious, like, shit until the semester is over. And this shit is not even that serious! I mean, I have to write a 5-8 page paper for one class and study for a final. Honestly, I kind of feel like forgetting about studying for the final. Because come on. The last time we had an exam in that class, everybody else studied their asses off ("Yeah, I didn't study that much, either," one girl said to me before the test. "Only six hours.") and I still got a 19/20. So, I guess that's the way I should think about these things. I always end up doing just fine in the end; the endless worrying is not helpful in any way. Or, think of it like this: whenever Ryan and I walk to the bus stop together, we always arrive at the exact moment the bus does. For a while, Ryan told me this was because I am the most punctual person on earth, that I have sublime powers of punctuality. But then I told him that I usually get to the bus stop 15 minutes early and spend all of that time looking at my feet. So, the only logical conclusion is that Ryan's laziness and my over-achiever spitfire somehow balance each other perfectly. This is only good in that it helps us catch buses. In no other way do we posess amazing punctuality. Sadly.

So, really, what do I think about sollipsism?