Saturday, April 05, 2003

HIP ME TO IT
It's way too early for me to be this awake, but there it is. I slept most of the day anyway, and had a huge cup of coffee before the Crooked Fingers/Spoon show tonight, which was perhaps a bad idea because now I'm more awake than 95% of Pittsburgh. The show was pretty good tonight, except everybody I was supposed to go with stood me up, en masse, if you will. But it's a good feeling to see a show by yourself sometimes. I imagine it's like seeing a movie by yourself, even though I've never done that.

It was a good show, mostly. Miroslav sounded terrible, though. I finally see everything Dave's been saying about them for all this time. Well, I still like their older songs (which sounds terribly pretentious, but I mean it.) Most of their newer songs are really crappy emo-sounding things with lots of screaming and no interesting structure or chords. By the sound of their name, I was afraid Crooked Fingers would be more of the same, but they were amazing, definitely the best act of the night. They were a little older, and so sincere while still having lots of energy, but with a nice, Tom Waits/country thing going on. I'm glad that the show wasn't just three bands that sounded exactly alike; it was mostly just good music. Spoon was good, but their energy was a little on and off. I can't figure out what it is that keeps me from just liking them, but there's definitely something that makes me hold back. They have really catchy songs and pretty good lyrics, so I don't know what it is.

I saw a girl I went to high school with tonight, which was kind of nice. She sounded a little sad, though. Or maybe just low-key. It's hard to say. I saw her at the Godspeed You Black Emperor! show on Monday, too. We exchanged e-mail addresses, but I kind of doubt that I'm going to hear from her again soon, unless I run into her at another show.